Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fight or flight



When originally planning my trip out here, the foray into the fight world of Thailand, I had two options: a short or a long trip. I ended up choosing the latter and coincidentally, today, the 18th would have the been my departure date for the first trip. It appears that everything works out in the end, that is if I come out on top as I, and the trainers, have so cleverly planned.

Tonight around midnight (depending on the tempo of the fights, ie: if people get they're blocks knocked off quickly) I'll be stepping into the ring with an unknown. His name is Mohamed, he is French, and according to the promoter, he is "same-same all, very fat like me." With that blow to the self-confidence, the trainers breathed a sigh of relief as a first fight for a Farang, or foreigner, is often quite sloppy and they believe I can benefit by fighting one. The other option would be to fight a Thai with 50+ fights and a respectable training background, something of which I have very little.

I'm excited for this thing; today I'm more confident and less nervous than any day previous and I feel that win or lose, stepping into the ring to fight Muay Thai in its motherland is a victory in itself and will be a great experience. I don't plan on making this my last fight, no matter the outcome, and want to make my trainers proud. So I'll just take it slow, let the man throw his fervent punches as all Farang do, wait for his gas tank to expire, and let my training kick in (no pun intended).

Sawatdee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what happends?