Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fast and Furious

Again, no pictures, I'll spare the excuses.

One month and a week in, training and life in Thailand is peachy keen. Recently I grew a pair and rented myself a bike. This despite not having a license or ever having driven before in my life. Much like jumping into the ring, it's scary at first, but you get used to it very quickly or at least much get used to it. I'm happy to say after navigating home from a night out in Phuket town with another guest hitching a ride home to camp, I am very confident in my moped driving chops thus far.

My private sessions with Chocolate and twice daily muay thai sessions have started to pay off and am very quickly seeing the improvement in my striking. Sparring is starting to come easier and I'm getting a lot less degrading Thai thrown my way, reflecting what I assume to be proportionately fewer screw-ups. Chocolate insists on me fighting and says that if I were to lose he would quit his job as a trainer; I'm glad for his vote of confidence and considering he made this point so clear despite his incredibly broken English hammered to point home. So I'll be training, running, and doing my best to get ready for a fight I may, or may not, have.

Finally, for comic relief, I though I would share how precarious flirting with the opposite sex is here. It's such a foreign concept to me and every other westerner, but in going into a conversation with any woman, you legitimately have no clue whether or not she is even a she. Tonight panning across the bar, you could spot half of the lady-boys but many of them are extremely convincing in their trade. Having started their 'transition' early in life, they are passable as women to say the least. With that said, I'll keep my flirtatious self clear away from the 'women' and rather focus on the task at hand: Training.

No comments: