Thursday, May 15, 2008

Let's get it started...

Time for the inaugural blog post. Those of you who know me know that I am self-proclaimed internet addict, yet I have never ventured into the blogosphere. Thus in order to see what all the hype is about and chronicle my adventures in the world of MMA and beyond, I have decided to create my own personal blog and join the ranks of other like-minded bloggers.

For me, my passion is mixed martial arts, otherwise more commonly, and incorrectly, known as 'UFC' -- UFC is a league, not a sport; that's like calling hockey 'NHL'. For over a year I have been training in Montreal with GAMMA, better known as one of the training places of the one and only George St-Pierre (AKA: GSP, AKA: The current UFC World Welterweight Champion). Under the esteemed Fabio Holanda I've gotten some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu chops and have dabbled in muay thai; nonetheless, my passion is in MMA and since graduating from McGill last month came early after only 3 years of study, I have found an opening to begin more intensive training, looking forward to a fight in the future.

I have always had an avid interest in athletics, playing rugby in highschool and maintaining a strict regimen in university, in spite of occasional binge drinking - we've all been there. MMA training gave me a constructive outlet for my need to train and last summer I was involved in training 3 times daily, improve my Jiu Jitsu by leaps and bounds. However, as all things do, this inevitably ended with a dislocated elbow by the hand of an overzealous, and douchebaggy, MMA fighter who snapped it during a normal training exercise.

Since then, I have cut back on MMA training and focussed on my fitness, with recent forays into intense cardio, with 10km daily running on the menu. In light on the intense competition involved at any weight class, my only way to be a viable fighter would be to cut a large amount of weight and maintain a trim physique. Graduating from highschool I was a 200 lbs rugby player and this year teetered around a relatively lean 190. With running, strict dieting, and exercise I plan on making the cut down to 165 lbs in order to be able to fight in the 155lbs lightweight division. For those of you who don't know and do care, most fighters walk around 10, 15, 20 lbs heavier than their fighting weight and merely 'cut' water weight prior to weigh-ins in order to be as heavy and strong as possible for their weight; every pound counts!

So to conclude this lengthy post, I'll say that my plan in the near future is to venture to exotic Phuket, Thailand and join the grueling MMA training at Tiger Muay Thai (http://www.tigermuaythai.com/). 2 Months of training subsequent to finishing exams in Montreal will be the kick-start I need. Moreover, they are adamant about offering opportunities to fight for those who are willing, ie: me.

From here on in, the jist of the blog will be my experiences, goals, and hardships that I encounter in my MMA training -- which hopefully will be received at some interest for those of you who are fans of the sport. My idea is to offer insight into the kind the MMA community, the fighters, the kind people, and the exciting events. Stay tuned, from here on in it will be dense, packed with photos, and exciting, to say the least.

No comments: